American swimmer, Michael Phelps, is the most decorated olympian of all-time. The 29 year-old Maryland native has been swimming since he was just 7 years-old. By age 10, he already held a national record, and by 15, he became the youngest male to set a world record in the sport of swimming. Throughout his career, Phelps has gone on to set and break several other records, and he is often credited with helping swimming gain mainstream popularity. Although Phelps has had several personal struggles throughout his career, there is no denying that he is one of the fiercest competitors in modern sports history. Here are five Michael Phelps quotes that show just why he is a champion.
5. “You can’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.”
Some people believe that there comes a point in time where we all must give up our dreams in order to make more ‘realistic’ pursuits. However, Phelps believe that if we work hard enough, even our wildest dreams can come true.
4. “I wouldn’t say anything is impossible. I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and put the work and time into it.”
With 22 Olympic gold medals to his name; it’s same to say that Michael Phelps has proven that anything is possible.
3. “If you want to be the best, you have to do things that other people aren’t willing to do.”
This goes back to the old idea that no matter how hard you’re working, there’s always someone out there working harder than you. In order to be the best, you have to eventually become the person who’s working the hardest.
2. “I think goals should never be easy, they should force you to work, even if they are uncomfortable at the time.”
Michael Phelps’ ability to set goals that constantly force him to challenge himself is part of the reason why he has been so successful throughout his career.
1. “I can’t remember the last day I didn’t train.”
Perhaps the secret to Michael Phelps’ success is as simple as this; no days off.
(Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)