Everyone knows Lea Michele as goody-goody Rachel on Glee, and she seems to have a sort of hoighty-toighty persona in real life as well. Hearts all over the world went out to Lea after the tragic death of Cory Monteith, her partner on and off the screen. But she isn’t really viewed as anything but Rachel when it comes to her acting roles in peoples’ minds (unless you are a diehard Spring Awakening fan). With Glee coming to an end after the next season, it’s important that Michele put herself out there as an actress. With her recent casting for a guest appearance in Sons of Anarchy, it seems she is off to a good start. It’s important that fans and casting agents see her as more than Rachel, and with the help of this role, that should be accomplished.
Michele will play Gertie, “an empathetic truck stop waitress and single mother, who connects with Gemma during a difficult time,” a rep for FX told E! News. Here are a few more reasons why Sons of Anarchy is an awesome next step for the actress.
1) She could potentially learn how to ride a motorcycle. And who wouldn’t want that?
2) Once they’re friends, Lea and Charlie Hunnam could go on to make their own version of Fifty Shades of Grey (that would actually be some pretty great casting!) Hunnam famously left the movie after being cast as the original Christian Grey.
3) Lea needs a little grit on her porcelain skin and image. Some dirt will probably fly up when she’s standing near all the motorcycles.
4) She is known as a perfectionist and bossy banana. But in Sons, she is low on the totem pole and she’ll have to go with the flow.
5) It will be good practice for her to be in a role where she doesn’t break into song every five minutes.
6) Katy Segal and Lea can act out old scenes from Married with Children, with Lea playing the role of Kelly, of course.
7) She’s playing a waitress, so she can’t help but be more humble when she goes out to eat and when dealing with craft services/assistants.
(Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)