Rapper Meek Mill is a Philadelphia native whose aggressive flow and true-to-life lyrics have made him a star. The 27 year old dream chaser signed with fellow rapper, Rick Ross’ Maybach Music Group (MMG) in 2011. Meek is responsible for hits such as “Amen” and “Ima Boss” from his Self Made and Dreams & Nightmares projects respectively. While the rapper has gained a strong fan base, his rise to fame has not been without controversy. After the release of his hit single, “Amen,” a Philadelphia minister publicly disapproved of the song’s content and released a statement saying, “As a hip-hop fan, I want to encourage every rap fan in Philadelphia who is a believer in Jesus Christ, to boycott Meek Mill until he acknowledges this blatant disrespect. And being resident of North Philadelphia and pastor, I revoke Meek’s ‘hood pass’ until this happens.” While Meek is certainly no angel, he still has a lot of insight from a perspective that can’t be ignored. Here are five Meek Mill quotes that will impact your life right now.
5. “I work hard. I focus on myself and putting food on my dinner table before anything else. I don’t worry about other artists. Worrying about the next person in a negative way is the wrong way to be.”
Meek Mill says that staying focused on his self has been a key element and his success. Meek seems to understand that a person who has time to worry about someone else’s affairs is a person who doesn’t have enough to do.
4. “Everybody think they’re famous when they get 100,000 followers on Instagram and 5,000 on Twitter.”
Meek Mill address the idea of people who have become “famous” strictly because of their number of social media followers.
3. “If you don’t have your friends and your family, what do you really have? You can have all the money in the world, but with no friends and no family, it’s no good.”
While most people strive for money and fame, Meek Mill acknowledges the fact that all of those things are meaningless without family and friends. Meek, who has remained very closed to his inner-city roots, seems to have put this idea into practice.
2. “I think it’s way harder when you have success, ’cause people tend to not treat you the same or look at you the same because they see the success or the money you make.”
Meek shares a sentiment that is common among celebrities who insist that life on the top if nowhere near as easy and carefree as it appears.
1. “One night I prayed to God, I asked could he please remove my enemies from my life, and before you knew it I started losing friends.”
From the intro of his song, “Who You’re Around” which features Mary J. Blige, Meek shares with his listeners that many of his friends were actually enemies in disguise.
(Photo by Rick Diamond/Getty Images for BET)