Nicki Minaj has been dominating the female rap game since the release of her debut album, Pink Friday, in 2004. Best known for her animated artistry, Nicki is no stranger to elaborate costumes and on stage performances. Her ability to entertain large audiences has helped her gain worldwide recognition, and has even birthed a devoted group of fans who refer to themselves as “Barbies.” However, not everyone buys into Nicki’s over the top antics. Many people believe that the 31 year old rapper is inappropriate and sends the wrong message to young women. Recently, Nicki released the video for her single, Anaconda, and she quickly became the topic of many conversations. The video, which may be her most racy yet, has been deemed as “too much” by many viewers. While Nicki considers herself to be all about female empowerment, many don’t feel the same, and insist that she is a “bad influence.” Still, Nicki has remained gracious in the face of controversy and continues to reach out to her fans with words of wisdom and encouragement. Here are the best Nicki Minaj quotes of 2014.
5. “I thank god that I’ve been placed in a position to do something and represent women in a culture that is so male-driven.”
During her acceptance speech at this year’s BET Awards, Nicki took the time to remind viewers why her work as a female in the music industry is so important.
4. “Racism is alive and well”
In June Nicki, fired off this tweet, sublimely suggesting that racism has helped Iggy’s career advance so quickly.
3. I’ve spent my life living for people. Going forward, I just want to live for me. I want to make myself happy and not be held back by people’s opinions of me.
During an interview with Glamour Magazine, Nicki discussed her career and the path she is currently taking. She admits that while she has spent a lot of time concerned with outside opinions, she will no longer allow herself to be held down by what other people think.
2. “I just want women to always feel in control. Because, we’re capable – we’re so capable. It’s one of the reasons that I have these women that I look up to – because they did not allow being a woman to make them feel like they should settle for less, financially. No, money doesn’t mean everything. But it says a lot. I don’t know how this mission is supposed to be completed. But I’ve realised that I really need to finish what I’ve started.”
Sticking to her message that women can do everything, Nicki makes it clear that women are “capable” of taking their lives into their own hands.
1. “…But my point is, what I want the world to know about Nicki Minaj is, that when you hear Nicki Minaj spit, Nicki Minaj wrote it…I don’t care what anybody gotta say. I’ma do me, I’ma do me. And I hope and pray that BET continues to honor authenticity. And that’s all I’m gonna say about that.”
Like many other rappers, many of Nicki’s biggest moments are the product of beef with other artists. Throughout her career, Nicki has feuded with fellow female rapper, Lil Kim, and most recently, Iggy Azalea. During the same BET Awards speech that was previously mentioned, Nicki took some subtle shots at Iggy, whose career make great leaps this year. When Nicki won the award for Best Feamel Hip-Hop artist she made it clear that while she does not take the award for granted, she feels like she deserves it.
(Photo by Imeh Akpanudosen/Getty Images)